This is a great way to get some beans intoya that doesn’t involve Heinz sugary sauce, or washing up a stinking red saucepan after someone else
- A 410g tin of Fageolet beans (or blackeye, or whatever tickles your fancy)
- One or two finely chopped garlic cloves
- Half-to-full-tin of anchovies (25-50g) in olive oil
- Olive oil to make a dressing, perhaps some sesame oil if you fancy it too
- Lemon or lime juice – about one, see how watery it gets
- A good handful of herbs – coriander, parsley, mint are good. Oregano, basil and sage if you like them, but I’m not sure they go too well with coriander and mint – but use what you can get. If using Sage, go easy, its bitter if you use too much.
Chop/mince everything but the beans up and swizz together with the olive oil and lemon/lime juice. Add a pinch of sugar if you feel like it. You should end up with a garlicky, salty, herby mixture. Taste it and adjust to your liking – add some chopped chilli perhaps.
Drain and wash the beans then put in a bowl and add the mixture. Add some of the following to your taste and whatever feels good for you, or whatever you have in the fridge at the time. Chop thinly or to bean size so you can fit them onto your fork and into your cake–hole.
Mix again and chill in the fridge for a bit. Use with some grilled meat or fish, in place of a vegetable, but not as a pizza topping !
- Umbel not found : g(gram), chopped, coriander, oregano, basil, sage, swizz,chilli, feel, capsicum, shallot,spring, nuts, topping, shallot
- Umbel not matched: drain, wash, cakehole (!)
- Umbel broken : mixture
Festive season comes again. Glad I’m not doing it this year.
This post after (Harold) McGee on Food & Cooking1
Immerse meat in 3-5% w/w salt solution (30-60g/kg) for a few hours – and up to 2 days. A 3% solution dissolves part of the protein structure that supports the contracting muscle filaments and a 5.5% solution partly dissolves the filaments themselves. You also get a greater water holding capacity because of the salt-protein interaction. The inward movement of salt and water also adds the flavours you might add to the solution. The meat will increase in weight by 10% or more. It works from outside in, so incomplete soaking will mean that inner muscle wont be effected so much. But because of the extra moisture and filament breakdown, even an over cooked bird can benefit.
1. Harold McGee, McGee on Food & Cooking, pp155-156, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 2004
umbel misses, but mapped in SUMO : dissolves, structure, filament, capacity, weight, soaking, moisture
Flour, eggs , milk and a good low lipped frying pan.
Do it the night before, put in the fridge, then cook first thing as a hot alternative to meat based builder’s hangover cure.