Have built a white-label location based service on top of a semantic repository (Spring, Jena, Empire, JenaBean, Sesame. MySQL)
- Enterprise level security with OpenId and Oauth (build your own app)
- ACL based authorization
- Umbel structured tagging on user profile and locations
- message and invitation queues
- personal, group, application and cloud access levels
- data cloaking
- semantic query console
Needs more work on
- JPA integration (Empire) as alternative to JenaBean
- gui clean up
- build script, maven
- hosting on GIT ?
Im going to OpenSource it, and write up my development diary – the trials and tribulations.
Iits not been easy, and taken much longer than I wanted –
- I suppose I expected too much from this early “second coming of the lord (the internet!)” and
- learning stuff just plays havoc with schedules .
The 2 biggest issues have been the bleeding edge technologies (and the number of them – there are no standard APIs yet), and performance – if you think you can get near enterprise level performance you need to think hard about what you are trying to do and what you can sacrifice. If you want ACL or logic on semantic or linked data then you have to sacrifice performance. If you want performance, dont marshal it from the text or XML you’ll get back from a sparql endpoint. But there is a third way……
So, once done, or nearly done I’ll reveal all – and the interesting conclusions.
Whats the difference, if any, between
- cost of sales and expenses
- gross and net profit
- customers and clients
- customers and verticals
- IP Protection and Patenting
Now go finish that business plan !
After 8 hours MySQL server side drops idle connections. I don’t want to just allow recovery and have to run a ping every few hours, want driver to handle it. What is this, 1970 still ?
- try add autoReconnect=true to url
- try setting wait_timeout and others on server –
- try c3po instead of dbcp, if using dbcp
Got some feedback from the Pedantic Web Group on the Lewis data set just published. Some interesting things I had noticed or chosen to ignore
- Need a root response for the base of the namespace http://purl.org/uoccou/lewist. Empty isnt much good
- Need to handle #URIs in my redirector code – agents don’t, browsers generally dont pass it
- Should change some of the simpler URI properties to datatyped literals
- Need lang attributes on text
- Should have VoID.
- Bits and pieces
Other than that, will hopefully add the MP and Seat name to the dataset by end of this week. Will prob use foaf:name for now. Begs the question about whether I should get the Hansard data sets into RDF and publish.
New boss at work ? Changes in the corp ? What does it all mean ?
Meanwhile, the dog at home stays in for hours, and accomplishes a clean sheet, literally. Other homies getting to grips with change too. NAMA sucks us dry for generations. We need a revolution. 6m people in Birmingham. 6 MPs. Ireland has 166 representatives and several multipliers more of local councillors. If only Ireland wasnt Neutral, we could have a military coup. But then we’d end up with Wiley O’Dee as leader. Fabulous radio coverage this AM. Willy vs Georgie Lee. Why dont RTE do more of that instead of the staged sequence of interviews ? Suppose they’d have to rip more Radio4 off, jingles and ideas too.
More interesting text than this in the historical section of this site.